12.10.17

Day 90-ish Update

Many people have been asking me questions regarding how I'm doing and what my plan is. I'm here now to answer you all at the same time.

Not too long ago, I was frantically trying to get my paperwork together before my 90-day deadline of October 13th. Things to send that needed to be sent back once approved, contracts and verifications, applications for this and that. Not to mention gathering information on how to do certain steps. It was all taking so long that I was considering a short trip to London to buy me time, or even returning to SLO for a few months while I waited. The possibility felt so real, I actually started to accept it as a viable option and was looking at all of the positives, even getting a little stoked to go home for a bit.

And then one day I went into the Welcome Center, and I left in less of a hurry. I could get something called a Fiktionsbescheinigung, a provisional residence document. I had enough papers for anybody to believe I was planning to stay here legally (though not yet all I need for a student visa). I went to the Foreign Registration Office and inquired, still unsure how long it would take to actually receive the paperwork or if I did, in fact, have to make an appointment in order to get this document. Mind you, I would've had to put in a request months in advance to get an appointment with the Foreign Registration Office in the near future. I was still in a tiny bit of a panic, drafting a pleading letter in case I did have to beg for a sooner appointment.

I walked in like I had twice before, to ask questions. The lady who helped me said I could get the document right then if the machine weren't broken. Totally calm, no problem at all.  She informed me that with this document I'm not allowed to leave the country (not even to other EU countries), and that I'm still not allowed to work. But I can stay another 90 days to get my paperwork together, and the appointment for my visa will be scheduled as soon as I let them know I have everything, within the 90 days by default. I had a few extra weeks until my first 90 were up, and she asked if I wanted to take a trip before she issued me the document. I'd had enough of long bus rides and train stations and worrying about whether I'd be able to stay, so I declined the offer. The next morning, I got an email saying I could pick up my Fiktionsbescheinigung. The machine was working again, and so were my lungs. It was a deep breath of fresh air, a washing away of the stress and hurry.

One of the papers I had already was one that states that I took the TestDaf, the Big German Language Test that will confirm I have enough of a grip on the language to study at a university in German. When I went to take the test, I walked into a room of foreigners. I'm not sure what I was expecting, actually, but what I noticed the most was the identification document that sat on my desk throughout the whole process: my U.S. passport.

Many of the people present for the test came from Middle Eastern countries. When the proctor went to call people back from breaks, she would look at the name marker (last name, first initial) and sometimes it started with a mumbled, "Oh, boy.." But I was self-conscious of my passport. After I got my documents later on, I thought back to the test day and wondered just how much more stressful the whole situation could get. I mean, my passport will get me just about anywhere. Border check on the bus? The officer doesn't even look twice at my passport before handing it back to me. Meanwhile there's a kid in front of me getting a full pat-down and his bags thoroughly searched by multiple officers. What's the difference between him and me, really? Why does he get the short end of the stick?

Once I got my Fiktionsbescheinigung, I had to wonder if I hadn't been psyching myself out about how hard all the paperwork is and how short 3 months have turned out to be. But it's a living, breathing, Douglas-Adams-was-probably-making-fun-of-it bureaucracy. It's not fun for anyone. However, it's very empowering to be doing everything myself. And having been on Bylaws Committee back at Cuesta, I can better understand where some of the extra requirements and layers and things might come from.

So now that I know I'm good until Christmas day (December 25th is when my Fiktionsbescheinigung runs out), I can get my documents together without the rush. I have proof of insurance, proof of registration, proof of having taken the TestDaF (results come out at the end of this month), the contract for my internship in January, open bank accounts, and papers in the mail so they can finally tell me "your educational background is verified and enough to study here in Baden-Württemberg" (most of which translate to a single word in German, by the way). And once I have that paper in my hands, it will probably be time for me to apply to university. And the proof of application will help in getting that visa.

The university is my plan for the next few years. Hochschule für Technik Stuttgart -- HFT Stuttgart, for short. I'll be studying KlimaEngineering, which is not the most intuitive word found in the German language. I describe it as a mixture of architecture and engineering, with a forte in sustainability and environmental implications. It's a niche role, and a new-ish study program. Even I don't know how I found it, but it was exactly what I was hoping to find. I can apply between November 2nd and January 15th. I'll find out if I got the spot sometime in January, most likely. The internship is required to get into the program, so that makes it easier on everyone. Minimum 4 weeks of some kind of related experience to give me an idea of what I'll be doing after I graduate.

I'm left with a lot of free time between now and January. Not allowed to earn money, not allowed to leave. What am I doing with all of that time, you ask?

The short answer is, "I'm still figuring it out, ask again later."

The fact is that every day continues to go by, and the time is used somehow. So here's what I've done so far:

  • I went to this event on a whim, having seen it in a pamphlet. I discovered a master's program I might want to pursue in the future, and got to shake hands with the main speaker, Klaus Töpfer. He spoke of a group of people called Generalists -- people with knowledge of many fields and their vocabularies, but little in-depth work or research in most of them. Very important for communication and understanding, which the world needs, now and always.
  • I've been exploring the city a lot on foot. I could use public transportation, but I don't. I could use the exercise and fresh air, plus I get to see more and save $$. Or €€. Though I do sometimes walk through a station to skip some crosswalks and read some world news.
  • I'm keeping my eyes peeled to see what's going on around the city, ie collecting pamphlets, flyers, handouts, and anything else that lists one-off events and ongoing opportunities. That's how I found out about the Sustainable Cities event (mentioned above). And there's a German-American Center, so that's basically calling my name.
  • I've been to two improv shows already, and I'll probably go to another on Saturday night. My favorite scene so far was one between a hitman and his boss, played out in hell, and then replayed, same scene, but Bollywood style. It's not something easily reenacted.
  • I've been reaching out to all sorts of communities, both on- and offline. I've been looking for a choir to join, but haven't made it to any rehearsals yet. I've been to one Engineers Without Borders meeting, back in August. I'm planning to get hands-on involved now that I'm more oriented. I met someone on the internet and then in real life, and we hang out pretty often now. We went to a board game meetup where we met even more people. I've been surprisingly active on iFixit.com, for the fact that I don't actually work there anymore. This is my favorite response I've gotten to give so far, and this is my profile, which I finally wrote today.
  • I'm trying out a polyphasic sleep cycle. The one I'm trying to implement involves napping for about 20 minutes every 4 hours. I'm working on it, but also making some clear progress. It leaves me with so much more time in a day that I intentionally don't multitask, and it's been helpful for my focus and my willingness to do things that take awhile as soon as I get the chance. I also get to stop and think about things 6 times a day when I'm trying to fall asleep. 
  • One of the side effects of having extra hours is that I read a lot more. I've been reading like a dehydrated person drinks water, and I've finally reached the end of some things. In the blog I linked on the sleep cycle, there are many lengthy posts that go into detail about Steve's experience and his thoughts on it, among other things. I read it all in around a day. It's easy to take in when you have good reason to remember the details.
  • As a result, I've also been writing a lot. Yes, you have a "lack of sleep" (as some see it) to thank for this extra-long update. Really, it gives me the chance to breathe and consider my next step and gather the good ideas, sometimes even filter them, before I go to write them down.
  • I've also been journaling a lot. And yes, I consider journaling and writing to be two very different things. I'm directly introspective and retrospective in my journal, and I'd hate to bore most people with the memories that shaped me and realizations that have nothing to do with anyone but myself. I've tried it, and it doesn't normally end well.
  • I used wine to paint one night. I'm actually happy with how some of the sketches turned out once they dried. Maybe I will use those watercoloring materials my mom left me once in awhile.
  • I've also been writing and clarifying and mapping out what I'm doing and where I'm going on paper so as to have a clearer picture and a better idea of how to get there. Not to mention some items on my to-do list when I'm up all the time!
I hope this is as satisfying of an update for you as it is for me. It's neat when wrapped up in a bow like this, if I do say so myself.

A sidenote about how I answer so many questions:
I've decided to call my method "improvisational research." I take in the question, put it into Google-sized pieces, and usually pop out a decent answer with advice on what to do. In other words, I'm pretty good at Googling things.
The thing is, it works. And for me, all of the approved answers are more confidence that I can find my way if I need to. Google just makes it easier. Persistence and being able to scan for what you're looking for are the keys.
I know, I know. "Dear diary, ..."

I'll let you go now. Maybe my next post will have some pictures in it...

TL;DR (Stands for "too long; didn't read", and it's a term the kids use nowadays): I'm doing fine and I'll continue to be fine unless for some reason I'm not. Life is exciting. I've been writing a lot lately.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment